The Rheinland Hatchet by Helko Werk is a traditional German wide-bit blade made of hand-forged steel with an American hickory handle.
This beauty is a classic, it looks like it came straight from the pages of a storybook. It’s easily one of the best hatchets available.
Table of Contents
- Specs for the Rheinland Hatchet
- FAQs about Helko Werk Germany Rheinland Hatchet
Specs for the Rheinland Hatchet
Handmade in the Rhein River Valley at Wuppertal, Germany, these Helko hatchets perform well at light and fine cutting work, including carving, making kindling, and pruning lower branches. The hatchet also works well at taking down small trees and splitting rounds.
High Carbon Steel Head
The head is premium grade C50 high carbon steel, a drop hammer forged with a Rockwell hardness of 53-56 HRC, which is about 30 millimeters from the cutting edge. The eye is left unhardened to prevent cracks in the steel. Because each one is forged by hand and lightly finished, no two hatchet heads are completely alike.
American Hickory Handle
The wood for the handle is sustainably sourced high-grade American hickory. The hickory is milled, then stored, and softly air-dried for 9 to 10 months to achieve precisely determined moisture content.
Each piece is then carefully selected for superior grain and density, then sanded smooth, and finished with boiled linseed oil.
- 1 ¾ lbs Total weight
- 1 ¼ lbs head
- 4 inch long bit (cutting edge) length
- 14 inch long handle
A 1-ounce Axe Guard protective oil bottle and a high-quality, vegetable-tanned leather sheath are included. Optional upgrades include a handle collar, hanger straps, deluxe sheath, file, and stone.
- Handmade in Germany: The Rheinland Hatchet is a versatile tool, excelling at tasks like limbing branches, making kindling, carving, and other light and fine cutting work. The traditional German wide-bit blade, known as the Rheinland pattern, is particularly effective for cutting work. Each hatchet is handcrafted in Wuppertal, Germany, and named after the region’s renowned Rhein River Valley.
- High-Quality Steel: Each axe head is individually hand-forged from German C50 high-grade carbon steel, using the open-face drop forging process. This method involves a blacksmith shaping hot steel by hand as a drop hammer falls on it repeatedly, ensuring a hardness rating of 53-56 HRC.
- Premium Handle: The handle is made from sustainably sourced, grade A American hickory, hand-finished for grain orientation and density. It’s treated with boiled linseed oil and sanded to 150 grit, providing a comfortable and smooth finish.
- Additional Accessories: Each hatchet comes with a vegetable-tanned, premium leather sheath to protect the axe blade and head, and a 1 oz bottle of Axe Guard Protective Oil. This oil helps maintain the steel of the axe head and prevents rust over time.
- Dimensions: The hatchet has a head weight of 1-1/4 lb, a total weight of 1-3/4 lb, and a length of 14 inches.
FAQs about Helko Werk Germany Rheinland Hatchet
What is the Rheinland Hatchet by Helko Werk?
The Rheinland Hatchet by Helko Werk is a traditional German wide-bit blade hatchet. It is hand-forged from high-grade C50 carbon steel and features an American hickory handle. This hatchet is ideal for light and fine cutting work, including carving, making kindling, and pruning lower branches.
Where is the Rheinland Hatchet made?
The Rheinland Hatchet is handmade in the Rhein River Valley at Wuppertal, Germany. Each hatchet is unique due to the hand-forging process.
What is the weight and size of the Rheinland Hatchet?
The total weight of the Rheinland Hatchet is 1 ¾ lbs, with the head weighing 1 ¼ lbs. The bit (cutting edge) length is 4 inches, and the handle is 14 inches long.
What materials are used in the Rheinland Hatchet?
The head of the Rheinland Hatchet is made from premium grade C50 high carbon steel. The handle is made from sustainably sourced high-grade American hickory, which is carefully selected for superior grain and density.
What are the unique features of the Rheinland Hatchet?
The Rheinland Hatchet is known for its hand-forged steel head and American hickory handle. It is also recognized for its performance in light and fine-cutting work. Each hatchet comes with a 1-ounce Axe Guard protective oil bottle and a high-quality, vegetable-tanned leather sheath.
What are the optional upgrades for the Rheinland Hatchet?
Optional upgrades for the Rheinland Hatchet include a handle collar, hanger straps, a deluxe sheath, a file, and a stone.